Smoothies are great to give you the much-needed energy boost to start your day. You can drink them at any time of the day because they are low in calories and high in nutrients.
The best thing about smoothies is adding various ingredients that result in different tastes and nutritional benefits. The mushroom powder is an excellent addition to make your smoothie a super-food.
There are different types of mushroom powder, each with a purpose. Let’s look at the top 3 mushroom powder smoothies and how you can add them to benefit your health and well-being.
About Mushroom Powder Smoothie
The mushroom powder is made using dried mushrooms that have been reduced to a fine powder. Adding this powder, fruits, and greens makes a great smoothie and meal replacement.
The mushroom powder can make your ordinary smoothie extraordinary because of its nutritional value – more on this later. Depending on the purpose, you can choose which type of mushroom powder to add to your smoothie.
There are mushroom powders to boost energy, revitalize you, promote sleep and relaxation, etc. Let’s learn more about the different types of mushroom powders and their benefits.
Top 3 Mushroom Powder Smoothies
Here are the best mushroom powder smoothies you can try making at home for breakfast, as a snack, or before bedtime.
See which one suits your purpose the most.
Lion’s Mane Smoothie
Lion’s mane mushroom is the best choice for an energetic and active start to the day. Known for giving clarity and energy, it is aptly nicknamed the “smart mushroom”.
Gear up for a productive day at school or work with a lion’s mane mushroom smoothies for breakfast.
Blend all of the below ingredients.
- ½ cup of milk
- ½ cup of greek yogurt
- ½ cup of frozen berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries)
- 1 teaspoon of lion’s mane mushroom powder
- ½ of a banana cut into small pieces
After blending, add the below toppings to make the smoothie extra flavorful.
- Sliced mango
- Sliced kiwi
- Sliced peach
- Coconut flakes
- Chia seeds
- A bit of honey
Reishi mushroom is well-known for providing calmness, promoting sleep, and improving mood. It’s the perfect smoothie to unwind at the end of the day.
Make this bedtime reishi smoothie a regular evening routine to support your body’s effort to relieve stress and promote sleep.
Blend these ingredients to get the perfect reishi mushroom smoothie.
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon reishi mushroom powder
- I banana cut into pieces
- 1 carrot cut into 4 pieces
- A pinch of nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, and black pepper.
Chaga mushroom is the ultimate antioxidant powerhouse with immunity-boosting power. A variety of reactions occur in our body cells, which release free radicals as by-products. Antioxidants help negate the damage caused by releasing free radicals into our bodies.
Add the following ingredients and blend them to make your ultimate antioxidant powerhouse – Chaga mushroom smoothie.
- ½ cup of orange juice
- A handful of spinach
- 1 teaspoon Chaga mushroom powder
- ½ cup frozen wild berries
- ½ cup frozen cherries
- 1 black plum (pitted and cut into small pieces)
If the blended mixture is too thick, add more orange juice to make it thinner.
Why Add Mushroom Powder In Smoothies?
Mushroom powder smoothies provide significant health benefits that you shouldn’t ignore. Different types of mushrooms have various health benefits, such as the following.
- It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- It has antibacterial and anti-tumour properties.
- It has high nutritional value – high in protein and fiber; low in cholesterol and fat.
- Studies show its link with weight loss.
Different Types Of Mushrooms And Their Benefits
Here are the health benefits of each of the different types of mushrooms.
- Lion’s mane: It has brain-boosting powers and supports cognitive function.
- Reishi: It supports cognitive function, stabilizes blood pressure, controls blood sugar, and regulates the body’s natural sleep cycle.
- Chaga: It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, helps lower blood sugar, and slows cancer cell growth.
- Cordyceps: It improves brain power and helps post-workout recovery.
- Turkey tail: It strengthens the immune system and helps fight cancer cells.
- Maitake: It improves cardiovascular health and reduces the risk of heart disease by lowering blood cholesterol levels.
- Shiitake: It supports cardiovascular health, improves brain functions, strengthens the immune system, and fights cancer cells.
How To Layer Your Smoothie For Best Results
How you layer the ingredients in the blender matters when it comes to the smoothness of your smoothie. Here’s the correct order of the layers.
- Liquid ingredients such as water, milk, etc.
- Sweeteners such as honey
- Mushroom powder
- Leafy greens, nuts, and seeds.
- Creamy ingredients such as yogurt
- Fruits and vegetables
Factors To Consider When Choosing A Mushroom Powder
It’s vital to ensure that the mushroom powder you buy is healthy and not packed with artificial ingredients such as preservatives. Here’s what you should look for in the ingredients list.
- It is non-genetically modified (non-GMO).
- It is labeled as organic.
- It is made of 100% mushroom extract.
- It is tested and verified for high-quality.
- It is labeled vegan and gluten-free (if it applies to you).
Ensure the label doesn’t mention artificial ingredients such as flavors, colors, preservatives, fillers, and stabilizers.
Nutrients Found In Mushroom Powder
The mushroom powder is packed with many vital nutrients that can benefit your body. These nutrients include the following.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B6
Side Effects Of Mushroom Powder Smoothie
The mushroom powder has little to no side effects. However, when taken in excess, anything could cause side effects, which is the same with mushroom powder. These side effects include the following.
- It could disrupt sleep due to high energy levels.
- It could cause you to have vivid dreams.
- It could cause digestive distress due to excess fiber.
- It could cause dry mouth, nausea, dizziness, stomach problems, and skin rashes.
If you have any medical conditions, consult a doctor before using mushroom powder in your smoothies.
Other Ways To Use Mushroom Powder
You could use mushroom powder in many ways other than putting them in your smoothies. Here are a few ways you could use mushroom powder.
- Add it to your tea and coffee.
- Add it to pasta dishes, salads, and soups.
- Add it to sauces and seasonings, including meatloaf, chicken, tempeh, tofu, or burger patties.
Another way is to make mushroom powder supplements, which provide nutritional benefits in capsule form. Workoutlunatic.com has a list of supplements with mushroom powder, such as reishi and cordyceps.
What Does Mushroom Powder Taste Like?
One thing a lot of people are concerned about is how mushroom powder tastes, especially when adding it to smoothies.
Mushrooms typically taste good when cooked, battered, fried, etc. However, dried and powdered mushrooms don’t taste the same as cooked mushrooms.
The taste can differ according to the type of mushroom. Generally, most mushroom powders have an earthy flavor.
However, reishi mushroom powder tastes slightly bitter, while cordyceps mushroom powder has a strong taste.
How To Make Mushroom Powder Smoothies Tasty?
If you’re feeling a bit off with the taste of mushroom powder such as reishi or cordyceps, add one of the following to make it flavorful.
- Cacao powder
Also, try adding leafy greens, turmeric, ginger, etc., to your smoothie for a nutritional boost.
How Long Will It Take To Feel The Effects Of Mushroom Powder?
Although mushroom powder has many health benefits, don’t expect to see results immediately.
Generally, it takes about two weeks to feel its effects on your body. However, don’t get discouraged if you don’t see any results even in a month. It could take longer for specific individuals.
Some even report having felt the effects in less than two weeks!
The mushroom powder is an excellent addition to a smoothie and can make it more nutritious than it already is. You can use many types of mushroom powders to make healthy smoothies.
Lion’s mane, reishi, and Chaga are three top mushroom powder smoothies that can benefit your health in many ways.
Try drinking these smoothies and feel the change in your body.
How Much Mushroom Powder Should I Take?
A spoonful of mushroom powder added to your smoothie is enough for a day. Ensure not to exceed two spoons of mushroom powder a day, as this could be too much, and you could experience specific side effects.
Is Mushroom Powder Easy To Digest?
The mushroom powder is easy to digest because it is high in fiber.
Is Mushroom Powder Safe?
The mushroom powder is safe to consume if you don’t exceed the recommended daily dose.
Is Mushroom Powder Good For Diabetics?
The mushroom powder has low GI and GL content which is suitable for people with diabetes as it doesn’t spike blood sugar levels.
Which Mushroom Powder Helps With Anxiety?
Reishi mushroom powder helps lessen anxiety and depression and improves mental health.
If you like this article about Mushroom Powder Smoothies, please share this with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Also, you can subscribe to my blog to get all the latest articles first on your mobile.